|Sport||Downhill skiing, snowboarding|
SNOWBOARD TEAM: Dukla Liberec
SKI TEAM: ICE TEAM.CZ
|Date of birth||23.03.1995|
Ester Ledecká (born 23 March 1995) is a Czech athlete, skier and snowboarder who also plays beach volleyball and windsurfs. She is the only one in the world who has managed to combine snowboarding and alpine skiing at the highest world level.
She is a two-time Snowboard World Champion (2015 and 2017), and in 2013 was the Junior Snowboard World Champion in two disciplines.
She competed in two snowboard events at the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi in 2014, finishing 7th in the parallel giant slalom and 6th in the parallel slalom.
She won her first Snowboard World Cup race in Rogla, Slovenia, on 18 January 2014, and added additional victories in the following seasons. In 2016 and 2017, she won two big and one small Crystal Globe for the Overall World Cup standings.
In the current season, Ester has already won five World Cup races in parallel giant slalom.
In the 2015/2016 season, Ester also competed in the World Cup series in downhill skiing events, earning points with her 24th place finish in her very first race at Garmisch-Partenkirchen. She earned points in thirteen of her nineteen World Cup starts. With a 7th place finish at Lake Louise, Canada, in December, she improved her career best World Cup finish in downhill skiing.
During Olympic games in Korea, Ester shocked the world by winning gold medal in Super G. The week after, she won also her prime discipline, parallel giant slalom on snowboard and rewrote the history of Olympic games.
- Ester's grandfather is hockey forward Jan Klapáč (member of the World Cup champion team in 1972, member of the bronze medal team at the 1964 Winter Olympic Games and the silver medal team at the 1968 Winter Olympic Games).
- Her mother Zuzana, who manages Ester's training and competitions, was a figure skater.
- Her father Janek Ledecký is a Czech pop star and world-renowned composer. His rock opera Hamlet has been staged in Seoul, South Korea, five times in recent decades and has been seen by more than 1,300,000 people worldwide.
- Her brother Jonáš (23) left the Czech junior national team to devote himself full-time to art and music. He is a recognised comics artist; he created Ester's superhero identity and designed her racing suit and snowboard.
- Her skiing coaches are brothers Tomáš and Ondřej Bank. Ondřej was the most successful Czech downhill skier (two-time bronze World Cup winner, 5th place in the giant slalom at the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi).
- Her snowboard coaches are Erich Pramsohler from Italy and Justin Reiter from the USA (silver medallist in parallel slalom at the 2013 FIS Snowboarding World Championships); the head of her team is Sigi Grabner (bronze medal at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games, winner of the 2003 Parallel Giant Slalom World Championships).
- Her team also includes serviceman Petr Kouřil and physiotherapist Jakub Marek.
- At the age of five, Ester won the first race she entered – the Milca Cup series.